📁 Visit Write to Power
to read the selected poems
as well as the poets’ reflections
on their poems.
These days, in many places, many things can’t be said directly. Can we say them in poetry?
Cha: An Asian Literary Journal is accepting submissions of poems for a new ongoing series “Fight with Words, Write to Power” (in short, “Write to Power”). We welcome Asia-focused poems—original or newly translated into English from other languages—that centre their energy on using words to speak truth and respond to power, be it power in the guise of individuals, hierarchical systems, states, governments, or other forms of authority. We seek poetry that highlights injustice, oppression, and issues that threaten people’s safety, wellbeing, and livelihoods, as well as poetry that envisions a better future. Poets are also invited to imagine via the medium of poetry situations, experiences, or plights they might not have personally encountered but are passionate about. We believe in words and we believe poetry empowers us.
Selected poems and essays by poets are published on a rolling basis on Cha: An Asian Literary Journal‘s main website, active for the first time since June/July 2019. Please read what we have published so far HERE.
Each poet can submit up to TWO previously unpublished poems and/or translations for consideration. Please read the guidelines below very carefully.
- Tammy Lai-Ming Ho (Editor-in-Chief of Cha) and
- Lian-Hee Wee (Cha contributor, Phonologist and Professor of Linguistics at Hong Kong Baptist University)
- Submissions of no more than TWO previously unpublished poems/translations (each no more than 40 lines) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Write to Power: [Your surname]”.
- Poems must be sent in the body of the email.
- Please include a biography (no more than 200 words).
- If a poem is accepted for publication, we will ask the poet to send us a reflection / an essay on the work.
- Accepted poems and essays by the poets are published on Cha: An Asian Literary Journal on a rolling basis. Please note that we will only be contacting poets whose work is accepted for publication.
- Closing date: ongoing until further notice.